How do you check if lnb is bad?????

Bronze Member
Username: Maximus06

Post Number: 51
Anyone know how to check if lnb is bad wihtout putiing up on the dish???

Silver Member
Username: Donnie1973

Tennessee

Post Number: 518
I dont think u can. u have to install it.

Silver Member
Username: Satscanner

Beaversbush, Sportsmans P... Great White ...

Post Number: 739
Always take it for a test drive.That way u have tested all the perameters of it's perfomance.some perform better than others but still will work fine.There is a internal calibration attenuator you can ajust also.

Silver Member
Username: Ke5aqn

Shawnee, OK USA

Post Number: 219
here http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb2.htm you will find a super good site explaining LNB's. It will show you all about LNB's. As the site explains the Test equipment costs thousands of $$ and it takes time to check an LNB across its entire frequency range.

here is how I test one:

First I use a KNOWN good one to point a dish to a sat

then I change to the LNB I want to test....if it fails I try to Aline it if that fails I trash it.

I find LNB's every week for FREE FREE FREE on houses not being used for example.

is short NO you can not test a lnb without it being on a dish antenna pointed to a satellite.
hope that helps

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 380
Great part listing
I'm glad the guy admits he is not a good mathematician similarly his physics and electronics maybe good enough for people that drive on the wrong side of the road.
Not recommended by King

Silver Member
Username: Crazy_greek

Post Number: 393

Hey maximus
The only way you can find out if your LNB is any good without putting it on the Dish is to take it to a Satellite dealer, most of the dealers will check it for you at no charge.
Or you can put it on your Dish and run a short piece of coaxial cable from your LNB to a Satellite Finder meter and the wire from your receiver to the meter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 740
Test driving also will include temperature changes and moisture/condensation issues that "test equipment won't.I don't know how many times i've had electronic components work fine while being tested only to fail in service,or have interminent problems because of other variables."For the price of these disposable lnb's," IF in Doubt Toss it Out" is probally the best solution.I don't now anyone personnally thats tests them for free.If you test drive on the wrong side of the road,its still a test drive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
Yes This test tells you if open or short if it does at all
Sat Finder is a compas
Sat finder can't give you any data or respond to any at all.
LNB can be bad and Sat finder still point to direction.

Can't use a voltmeter Meter either
This is the point
You can't measure any frequency that high
Most Oscilloscopes at best One or Two GHz
Or hardly find a generator that can Generate any such high frequency

So best choice pick a SAT that already genrates a known frequency and see if you can display it on a Monitor via receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 743
mmmmm ?..microwaves.....microwave oven,I got an Idea!

Silver Member

Shawnee, OK USA

Post Number: 229
from satscanner "For the price of these disposable lnb's," IF in Doubt Toss it Out" is probally the best solution.I don't now anyone personnally thats tests them for free."

the only time I heard of someone taking one to a dealer to get it tested the dealer just gave them a new one and "tossed" the "in question" one.
Like we have both stated here they are FREE FREE FREE all over the planet so its not worth the trouble.

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
Micro wave
Why didn't I think of it
So put LNB with coax in microwave
No DISEqC straight in
The question is where does the other end goes?
I got an idea
Do you know where.....

Just kidding Scanner

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
Tell Bill Hunter hold it,well you look for your meter.lol

Silver Member
Username: Crazy_greek

Post Number: 397

Hey maximus
Like I said, your best bet is to take your LNB to a Satellite Dealer, maybe the dealers around your area are as nice as the ones around here.
Other then that the answer to your question is
NO.As you can see no one here knows.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
Kavin
What do you mean no one knows?
I answered the guy in post 381

Bronze Member
Username: Pegg

Post Number: 36
What is an average life of the most common LNBs? If LNB is dead, would it mean no signals at all or it also affects the level?

Silver Member

Shawnee, OK USA

Post Number: 272
Pegg,
I have seen them not get a signal at all or get one with no quality so it could do ether . Best policy is if in doubt throw it out. Like I think scatscanner said on this thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us