Usb to com port

Username: Tboy

Post Number: 4
is there a way to program a viewsat with a usb to com port cable?

Silver Member
Username: Letmeon

Post Number: 119
Tried it on my Pantec. Got knight rider lights.
used my old system with a real com port...no problem (i think it has to do with timing ).
But I use it to load Channel lists ( no critical timing there)

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 6985
Most FTA receivers are made for Serial ports NOT USB ports..some newer ones are now USB ready..

U can try using an adapter from serial to USB (get the drivers too), but this does NOT always work!..go to radio shack!

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 1171
USB (universal Serial Bus) to Serial (RS232) is a well established technology and the drivers are usually relaiable.
Buy a harware device called USB to serial converter at Radio Shack or similar outfit. The output pinout will be a straight RS232. If your receiver needs a null cable, also buy a null cable (usually F/F) and plug into the output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6993
there's an echo and copycat it in here

Silver Member
Username: Donnie1973

Tennessee

Post Number: 517
ha ha. those usb to serial converters are availiable at Radio shack ya know. lol
If u use one of those, u can use a straight thru OR null modem cable. The electronics reverse the xmit and recieve

Bronze Member
Username: Sjain80

Post Number: 49
I am currently using the usb-rs232 converter for viewsat platinum. It works great. But I am having problem using the same port for fortec ultra reciver. It's an old receiver of mine and I just I might be able to update it. but for some reson, when I use loader 2, it's not being able to read the file. and when I use BL 1.4 or updater, it's giving me error message port can't me open and the file can't be opened as it's been used by some other process. Any one..any idea about it..what am I doing worng there.. thanks for your help

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 1177
What cable are you using for the fortec? The viewsat cable is a null modem cable. The cable for the fortec is a straight through cable.

Reboot your computer and make sure no firewalls are up and make sure you configuer BL v1.4 correctly.

I am a little confused with your post. You say you are having problems when you use Loader2 it won't read the file? I hope you are not using Loader2 to open a bin file for the Fortec. Viewsats use .pgm files which is what Loader2 looks for so you will never be able to open a bin file using Loader2.

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 1190
Your viewsat and the Fortec take two differnt types of cables as explained by PRFRMNJ. You can buy a M/F serial to Null modem converter and you will be OK.
Then use the connects exactly as you did before but add the converter at the receiver end.

Silver Member
Username: Nikk

Post Number: 841
You also need to disable any other software that could be using that port, like palm sync software, joystick or any similar......

Silver Member
Username: Poser

FTAPlayGround.NETFTAPlayGroun...

Post Number: 115
some anti-virus or firewall programs can also block access to those ports, in case u experience any problems try turning them off as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Sjain80

Post Number: 50
well thanks a lot for the info.. I was using the wrong cable.. it's working fine.. thanks a lot for your info...

Gold Member

Post Number: 7065
good catch NJ...most here don't listen and read close enough to be that observant..

good luck shawn..

Gold Member
Username: Prfrmnj

Post Number: 1245
Thanks LK... Just trying to make sure I understand them before I answer. I've also seen people repeat what others have already posted! LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us