Help! Kenwood VR-715 Receiver Not Receiving DTS or Dolby Dig Signals-Coaxial vs. Optical?

Unregistered guest
Hello all! I was doing some research on coaxial vs. optical and I came across this mesasage board. I am very new to the whole home theater experience and recently purchased a low end surround sound system (Kenwood HTB-206). The sales person at Best Buy advised that I would need either a coaxial digital cable or a digital optical fiber cable to transmit the surround sound from my DVD player to my receiver. I opted for the optical cable. Now here's my problem.

I adjusted my dvd player to transmit dolby digital and dts signals to my receiver. However, when popping in a DVD that had both DTS and Dolby Digital software on the disc, the only LED indicator that lit up on my receiver was "Prologic" not DTS or Dolby Digital. According to the manual, these LED indicators should light up when these types of signals are transmitted. I played with the input mode settings and was not successful in getting these indicators to light up.

Are the DTS or Dolby Digital signals not transmitting because I'm using an optical cable instead of a coaxial? Should it matter? Shouldn't both cables be able to transmit these signals? Might my optical cable be defective? I'm still trying to figure this out. There is a diagram in the manual that shows a coaxial cable being used to transmit DTS,Dolby Digital, & PCM components and an optical cable used for a DVD player. In the diagram showing the optical connection, it didn't mention anything about DTS or Dolby Digital components. Might this be the a special case scenario for my receiver? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anton Cuyugan
anthonycuyugan@hotmail.com

Username: Kegger

Post Number: 19
a lot of movies don't default to play in 5.1
be it dolby digital or dts.

you have to select dd5.1 or dts from the movie
menu.

and no it won't matter if you use the coax or optical and if your getting sound at all your
cable is not the problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us