Add bass to your Bose Lifestyle Acoustomass module

Username: Docpokrdude

Post Number: 1
I bought a Lifestyle 30 Series II a couple years ago and have been generally pleased, but never thrilled about the low bass performance. This past weekend I implemented an inexpensive fix and now I can "feel" the bass throughout the house.

I bought a cheap car-subwoofer box with two 12" speakers ($80 on sale). The overall impedance was 4 ohms. I opened the acoustomass module to find the subwoofer connector easily accessible...it measured 4 ohms as well (yea!).

I disconnected the internal subwoofer and simply ran the power to my external sub instead. Presto! thumping bass. The acoustomass has plenty of power...just doesn't have enough cone to really move the air. (BTW instructions on how to remove the acoustomass grill can be found in thread "how to DIY repair on Bose 12 subwoofer)Upload

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3116
this I can believe...

Wonder how your 2x car subs running off the Bose module would compare to a $150 powered Dayton 12" sub from partsexpress.com though. Oh well I guess you can still use the Bose module as a lamp or vase stand, lol.

Username: Docpokrdude

Post Number: 2
The challenge that Bose Lifestyle owners face is that there is no variable audio output to signal a supplemental powered sub (i.e. nothing to connect a powered sub to).

From what I hear in the local audio demo rooms, this fix creates a system that compares farely well. However, when I bought the system it sounded "phenomenal" in the demo-room...I guess the only true comparison is to bring all the competitors home and try em out. For now I'm content since it now rattles the shelves on the neighboring walls while still providing the "surround" that Bose does well.

Admittedly, still room for improvement :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us