1/4 wave in a wall

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1249
i was told by some one that by making my wall 1/4 of my burp notes wavlength from the front of the car.
do u measure it from the bottom of the windshield?
the problem will prolly be that i will barly have enough room to drive. would the same thing work if i use 1/2 wave length?
the way i am building it this time i wont be able to slide it to test.
explain please

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12410
it's 1/4 wave length from the speaker/port to where the mic will be when judged at competition. that's the dash, or the headrest typically.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1254
ok that makes sense.
if i use 1/4 ill only have 5 and a half foot from my speaker to the windsheld. not much room for driving.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1255
ok i just measured. i can make it 51 inches and still be alright with room.
do u measure the wave from what ur box is tuned too? or to what the i think my best burp not will be? or should they be the same?

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12413
typically peak output is a bit above the tuned frequency of the enclosure, so aim for 5-10Hz over the tuned freq, and use that as your wavelength measurement.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1256
glasswolf could u call or text me? 417-258-0329?

i think u could help me A LOT!

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12416
eh my phone is just a basic prepaid thing.. no real cell service out where I live right now. can't jsutify buying a nicer phone. anyway this is mostly SPL stuff and not really my forte, but it's pretty basic reasoning. You want it as loud as possible, so you want the peak output frequency to mature the wave, or a fraction of the wave at the location where the mic will be located.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1257
got that, for now i am setting everything up for my car and going off of that. should i look into any specs on my subs when testing to find the peak out put? i was just thinking that some subs could be better than others when making an spl set up with different hz. like that some subs might work better in a 50hz spl set up when others might work better with a 60hz set up. if that makes sense
i have sd2.5 15s.
i was also told that i should move my port to one side. i have seen ports on sides and in the middle like mine is now. is one side better than the middle?

as of now i am going to make the box just as big as i can. can i make the box to big?

i am just trying to get away with doing less testing

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2469
I need M.S. in here so he can punch a baby.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1698
If your box is much bigger than the recommended specs for the subs then yes, you can have it too big. The size of your box can effect power handling and the way it sounds.

Many SPL vehicles say they're louder with the port on the drivers side and the sub on the passenger, but it's vehicle dependent.
If you do the testing you'll get the results you want, but honestly the less you do the higher the chance you're missing out on something.
g/l.

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1259
thanks all! only 3 more months and ill get to do it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us