RE Audio 12" SX issue

Username: Jmorris

Post Number: 1
I have a 12" SX and a Diamond Audio d5 1200.1 amp. I got a flat the other day and had to take the box out to get the spare. While it was out, i unhooked all of the wiring. I have not messed with this system or turned it up in a while. I decided to take the sub out of the box and check it out. The wire going from one of the negative terminals to one of the coils is split. . Who knows how long it has been working with only one voice coil.
My questions:
1)Can I wire it back up, if so, how? (right now there is a wire going from negative to negative and positive to positive, There was also some switching of wiring going on outside of the box, but i do not remember how it was)
2)There is no marking on the sub. Is the sx a dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm, if they make both, how can i tell?
3)Can a torn wire like that be fixed? If not, I am okay running it how it was.

Thanks in advance.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21474
1. yes you can wire it back up.
2. if there's no marking then what you can do is get yourself a dmm and check.
3. just replace the torn wire.

Post Number: 2
The speaker is over 2 years old. I heard from another person that older SX's are most likely 2 ohms because it was not until a little while ago that they started making 4 ohm sx's

Can i replace the torn wire myself? what's that called, a tinsel lead?

Thanks for your response Chad.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 21476
ohhhhhh you meant the tinsel lead. i thought you were talking about the speaker cables. lol. duh me. hahaha.

anyways i know some people that have repaired torn tinsel leads with some speaker cables. just make sure you give it some slack.

Post Number: 3
I had no clue thats what they were called, but I found that out from another thread. If I was to repair the lead, how would I wire it back up if it was a dual 2 ohm and the amp was 1200w @ 1 ohm?

If i was not able to repair, is there a way to wire it?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1730
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qt y=1&woofer_imp=3

Go with option 1. Post some pics and maybe someone can assist you with the repair.

Post Number: 4
http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01227ha9.jpg

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5253
looks like your going to need a recone.. spider is torn :-(

whats the specs on the box? you must have been bottoming that sub out

Post Number: 5
3ft^3 ported box tuned to 32hz .....is anything wrong with that setup?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the spider? Where can I get a recone done, from the manufacturer or can it be done locally?

Thanks for your response

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 5254
theres part of your issue.. box was too big for a single 12"

Fi Audio will be the cheapest option

Post Number: 6
maybe it is 2ft^3. I really dont remember. The guy I bought the SX from a few years ago said he built it to spec. Is there a way I can measure?

Also, is that for recone or a new sub?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us