I got it for $30.. optimus xl-400 .is it any good?

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 975
ok its a 4,3,and 2 channel amp. its supposed to do liek 130 watt at 2 ohm brodged. i heard it was a radio shack amp. but it actually thumps that sub in my s-10 i told u guys about a while ago. but i think the specs are 85x4@ 2 ohms. and 100x4@ 4 ohms. that dont seem much but its bridgable so when u bridge it it has to be around 160 watt x2 ??? i know this amp cant be to great at all.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17107
Ask Marc. He runs a few optimus amps. If I'm not mistaken optimus has been discontinued from RS. I wouldn't consider them trash.

Bronze Member
Username: Fred_the_axe_murderer

Post Number: 45
sorry dude but those amps are junk. i used to work for RS and the comeback rate was way high and the RUMOR at RS was that they were made by pyramid.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4065
decent amp. The number 1 reason they failed was from user error. After all, ppl who were buying amps from radio shack shows that they lack knowlege from the get go. They put out rated power. Also, Radio shack had them built for Radio shack at popular build houses in China. Other amps may have been built in the same house, but they were not relabel crap. They were original designs. One of the most common houses, was the same that made Sanyo amps. But if you compare guts to any other amp from the time, there is no similariteis.

XL-400 High Power Bridgeable Amplifier
(120-2018) Specifications Faxback Doc. # 44469

Output Power:
Stereo...................... 65 Watts x 4 @ 4 Ohms, 20-20 kHz, 0.5% THD
100 Watts x 4 @ 4 Ohms, 20-20 kHz, 10% THD
75 Watts x 4 @ 2 Ohms, 20-20 kHz, 0.5% THD
80 Watts x 4 @ 2 Ohms, 20-20 kHz, 1% THD
Bridged............................. 200 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD

Frequency Response............................... 20-20,000 Hz (+/-3 dB)

Power Supply Voltage........................... 14.4 VDC Negative Ground

Maximum Current Draw............................................... 60 A

Dimensions (HWD)................................. 2 5/8 x 13 x 17 Inches
(6.6 x 33 x 43.2 cm)

Net Weight.............................................. 12 lbs (5.4 kg)

Specifications are typical; individual units might vary. Specifications
are subject to change and improvement without notice.

Bronze Member
Username: Excursion

Post Number: 25
the company rated the r.m.s. wattage at 10% T.H.D. ! ? that means playing clean it might do 45x4 or 135-145x2. he!! a dam 'vr3' walmart amp will do that good

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 977
lol excursion!!! well w/e .. it was cheap does the job for my beater s-10 . everyone in my town thinks its loud for being behind my seat but its ok . with my hard kore ma 1600 amp it sounded a hell better but thatrs getting fixed. ok so that amp . umm it dont say asnythiong at 2 ohms mono? i have it ran at 2 ohms using only 1 of the channels and it working fine never shut off yet. i ran it today all day with no problem. it does getr pretty hot though. but once i install another sub it should be louder but then teh amp will be working more so maybe it will take a sh..t soon lol. but i M PICKIN 2 KICKER CVR 10 INCH FOR 80$ TOMMOROW IM GOING TO PUT THEM IN THERE LOL. woops caps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us