What setup to get for 2004 Acura TL

Username: Jandrew007

Suwanee, Ga United States

Post Number: 1
I have not had a system in my car since college which was about 10 yrs. ago so I am trying to learn a lot of things again.

Anyway, I would like to put 2 10's in my Acura so I will need a recomendation on subs, box, amp, cap if I need one, crossovers, etc.

I have a 4 guage wire, fuse block and distribution block I used on last system so hopefully it is long enough.

I am looking for quality sounding bass. My old system was 3 the "old school" 10w 6's in a sealed enclosure pushed by a PPI a600 amp bridged down to 900 watts rms. I loved this setup because it was very loud and was clear sounding for the day.

I would like to exceed this if possible but with 2 10's this time around. My budget for the whole thing is about $750. ( I hope this is possible) I don't want cheap stuff that will break often so I may be able to up the budget but judging by what I have read here on this site, I don't think I will have to.

I measured my trunk and have about these measurements to play with unless I build or have built a custom box 31"x 12.5"H x 18"deep

Also, are audiobahn and Hifonics good equipment?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

You can call me Scroog...

Post Number: 3303
audioburn is not good... hifonics is decent at best, but i wouldn't trust their subs and their amps are overrated. if you are wanting good sound quality and you want to buy new i would say you might need to up your budget a bit.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2039
buy nothing audiobahn, ever. lol. hifonics makes sub par amps. also, don't bother with a capacitor. you don't need one, trust me. only thing you should need a crossover for is internal speaker replacement, which you should do but may end up going a little over budget.

to make your budget more efficient i'd suggest a 1 sub setup, possibly a digital designs, fi audio, image dynamics, RD audio, or audioque.

if you have carpentry skills, even a little, id suggest building your own box to save $. this would be pretty simple since you want sq, thus should make a sealed box.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4510
Go with a ported box. Just use a low tuning to ensure a flat response (good SQ)

Post Number: 2
I have built several boxes before and all were sealed to jl audio specs so I will try and do that this time if there is not an alternative.

What about alpine type r speakers?? I can get 2 for around $200. Would these be sufficient with alpine pdx 1000/1 which will cost about $500 on ebay? Or what other setup could be better?

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2042
you can't go wrong with type r's. may not be anything spectacular sq wise, but they won't sound bad by any means. i think that amp is a rip personally. id suggest a kicker kx1200/zx1000

Post Number: 3
Where would you suggest I get that Kicker amp and what ohm speakers should I get for it?

Thank You for your help!

Post Number: 4
Also, are the 2 amps you mentioned by kicker comparable quality, just different watts?

Gold Member

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 2044
i'd go ebay if you'll do that. if you buy it retail you'll end up paying more, but have the satisfaction of warranty and that good stuff.

that amp along with 2 2ohm type R's would be a great setup

Post Number: 5
Which amp were you referring to? I think you were talking about the zx1000. I see that it is rated at 1000 x 1 at 2ohms..?? There are more of these on ebay than the kx1200 and the kx is rated 1200 at 1 ohm so if I got the kx, wouldn't I need a pair of 4 ohm speakers to get the 1 ohm?

Post Number: 6
Also, would you get kicker solobaric L7's or the Alpine's? Thanks again for your help and advice!

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 722
look at this amp on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Kicker-ZX-1000-1-Car-Audio-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ1801856164 28QQihZ008QQcategoryZ64570QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
this subwoofer
http://www.soundsplinter.com/rlp12_subwoofer_information.html
those would be about 650
the rest of you money could go toward wiring and the box
oh and upgrade the big 3 on the alt

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 267
Starting from scratch try something other than Kicker or Alpine subs.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

You can call me Scroog...

Post Number: 3311
yeah don't do type r's or L7s...

Post Number: 7
ok, what should I do then? I need some good suggestions.

Thank you!

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 723
look 4 posts up at my suggestion
that is if you would consider a single sub

Post Number: 9
are these boxes any good?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7572_Sonic+Sub+Box-+2SL12-1.5.html

Silver Member