Tuning Below Fs !?...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12575
got to build a box for a MTX 7500 T7512-04 sub & from a PDF online file from mtx i see its Fs as 45.24hz

now AFAIK its not rec u tune too much below Fs of a sub since it'll be as if its in free air (right ?) & the guy wants lows from this say around 33\34hz

so - is it wise i tune almost 11hz below Fs & will it sound good & not damage the sub ?????

i was thinking 2.25cuft with about 28sq" port area which is roughly about 12sq"\cuft ...gonna be powered off a JL 500\1

NEED SOME FEEDBACK ASAP PLEASE ! ...

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 910
huh...i never realised the 7500 was so high. guess i never looked.

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 145.2 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 506
i wouldn't do it with that sub it will probally blow, my 7512-44 doesnt like low end at all

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5654
Go ahead and try it in ~2-2.25cuft tuned to ~38hz. It will be just fine.
Not the best sounding sub, but decent.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 911
when i had mine it didnt hit the lows very well.

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12576
thanks guys

yea i too was like WTF - what a high Fs

i have done subs tune to 2-3hz below its Fs with no problems but to tune something 10hz below i had to think twice & ask opinions

looking at what MTX rec they say 2cuft with 14x2 port x 16"long port which = a 42hz tuning ! ...damn thats high

i think ima call the guy up & ask him if he wants to keep that sub since he wnats more SQ than loud ...

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 159
you can tune below fs just fine. my FI Q Fs of 24.9 and i have it tuned to 14hz (home theater).

just be careful of bottoming it out which is an increased possibility when tuning below fs and giving it a good amount of power.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4466
MTX sucks.......... had to be said. And yeah their subs have pretty much no low end.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 4863
rovin wtf you been ^ 2

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12577
^hey im always around here lurking in the background quiet

well its not my sub - its a box im doing for some1...i called him up & explained it to him & he said he paid alot for it here in my country (us$280) so he is going to keep it since selling it he would lose alot

mtx makes ok subs but nothing too impressive especially for the $ IMO

i think i will tune it 38hz & not lower to risk it ...thanks guys ......

here is a recent pic of a 15" Atomic APX box i did
Upload
4cuft ,40hz ,roughly 15sq"\cuft port area ...

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2730
I was going to say you could add mass to lower FS, but then you'd lose a little SPL, and my guess is that's not what you want.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

You can call me Scroog...

Post Number: 3281
jackhammer rules...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5658
Yea, IMHO....MTX/MITEK is worthless.

They can pretty much suck my shlong.

Silver Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 165
I'm in the same situation as you Rovin I have the same sub but 4 of them currently they are in sealed enclosure even in sealed they don't have the bottom freguencies, songs like Late Night Tip sounds like A_S, the upper bass is very good alot of SPL, but the low end sucks, there's almost now low end when you play that song you could barely heard the lows.

Now I'm planning to go with 4x RE SE or SX 12" and I'm planning to build a 8ft^3 box tuned at like33-34Hz for them and and before i put the RE's in it, I'll try the 7500's see how they do.

Platinum Member

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12581
well i completed the box today for it so in a few days when the guy come by with the sub i will let u all know how it sounds ...i ended up going with 2.25cuft tuned 38hz with 12sq" port\cuft ...didnt want it to sound boomy so i went with a conservative amt of port area ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us