Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 975
what does Infinite Baffle mean?

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1575
it means you can use those subs free air you know without a box just bolted on a baffle

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 145.2 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 498
cool

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4409
I have NEVER seen an IB install that yielded good performance. Should be interesting to see how these do.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 638
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 577
Wow tht concept doesn't sound 2 good but hey I'm a noob.

Silver Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 317
Back in the day I had two Lanzar 12" Infinite baffle subs in an Accord.

My wife made me take them out because it was too loud for her. Now we have separate cars! lol

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 293
i doubt many people will be putting them in cars, i think they will go mostly twords home audio use

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2520
yeah, they should be good for HT but i still wouldnt use them just for music in my house...

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 318
"i doubt many people will be putting them in cars, i think they will go mostly twords home audio use"

???

Maybe, but if you have a good sealed up trunk, just mount a baffle behind the seat mount your sub...trunk becomes box, and bam...you have bass.

How would you use it in HT?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7294
"Back in the day I had two Lanzar 12" Infinite baffle subs in an Accord.

My wife made me take them out because it was too loud for her. Now we have separate cars! lol"

back when Lanzar was Lanzar they made some mean subs and amps too

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11421
Some serious HT setups use this design, with quite impressive results. Design is only limited to your imagination. Most popular approach is an attic install with the driver(s) venting into the living space. Really shakes the house.

http://www.stereointegrity.com/hometheater.php

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11422
Here's another good example.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jonfoulkes/Home_Theater/Speakers/IBInstallStory.htm

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 980
Paul FTMFW!! I thought it sounded stupid until you posted those examples and G-love's post

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 509
IB is most home audio, with the right work and install, IB can be the cleanest and best performing.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

You can call me Scroog...

Post Number: 3250
well with a fs of only 22 on the 18 it would be fine to use in a car as well as home audio... it will be interesting to see what people who try them out think...

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Digital Design 9515, Massive Audi...

Post Number: 1954
when i get my own place i plan on using my attic for an IB kinda like the example above. for now ill just have to stick with my 18" ava

Gold Member

Post Number: 1955
and why do they have the IB subs on the audiojunkies website but not fi's main website?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11424
If I had the house for it an IB would be my next step. For now my Q works just fine. I've thought about it tho....

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 888
Why isn't that on the Fi site if it's Fi? Or is it another company?

No joke- that's EXACTLY what I plan on doing for my H/T setup upstairs (with a single Q coffee table downstairs). I have an attic that takes up 1/3 of the upstairs, with a flat wall facing the den. I plan on cutting holes for 2 18s and doing an IB setup up because the wall is 1" pine. Only minor work to make that a reality :D

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 319
I don't think I like the Attic install. I'm sure they know what they are doing and all, but my attic gets well over 130 degrees in the summer.

That high of a temperature has to effect the surround on the sub and the amount of power the VC can handle. JMO

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Bangn aint easy ....when u g...

Post Number: 3948
Xmax 30mm
500-600watts 20hz free air

im sure you can make a decent setup in a car with the right box to... probally differnt power but ya..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11447
"I don't think I like the Attic install. I'm sure they know what they are doing and all, but my attic gets well over 130 degrees in the summer.
"

Do you know how hot it gets in your trunk or backseat in the summer?

Not much difference.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, Bangn aint easy ....when u g...

Post Number: 3956
IMO the trunk prolly gets hotter... expessially when all your equiptment is running... unless you have alot of airleaks moving air in and out of the trunk... but it would still be hot//

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2521
haha, yeah, the attic is alot better for equipment than a trunk.

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 322
I usually don't come out and say "your wrong", but this is something I kind of have some experience in.

I would imagine that if people have been doing this kind of install in attics, there is nothing wrong with it. But as for the temperature difference between the trunk and an attic, there is a big difference here in Cali.

I am a temperature nut...I'm in the Heating/Air conditioning trade and I have thermometers all over...even in my trunk and in my attic. Like I said...a nut!

The one in my trunk has never been over 120 in the summer time even when the cabin of the car is @ 145 with the sun beating down on it left in a parking lot. My windows are tinted, but that doesn't make too much of a difference when it sits for a while. But the trunk, even when playing bass hard for some time doesn't get too bad...120 is the highest and that was summertime.

However, my attic has been at 153 on a 105 degree day...that was until I put in an attic fan to get that heat out of there.

I'm not saying it wont work, but I can't imagine it is IDEAL!

That is all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1957
probly also dependes alot where you live.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11456
Any extreme isn't good for any electrical or audio product. Temps, humidity, dust, ect.....

My brother in law is a sales manager for heat and air for Sears in my area. I often wondered why so many builders are putting their units in the attic space in new construction. I design trusses so it comes into play in my trade as well. Those units seem to work fine in the attics. Always curious I guess.....

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 153
IB setups can be ridiculously good sounding and performing. in a HT setup it goes down super low and super flat, low as in flat to ~12hz.

However not every driver is any good in an IB, these drivers were originally custom from Fi and pretty much only a few HT forums knew about them. Now it looks like they are catching on and word is getting out.

as for temps, yea the baffle area shouldent be an extreme, which can cause design problems.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 518
It is faster to post information on Audiojunkies then update the Fi website.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us