L7 vs BTL

Username: Mobilelectronics

Post Number: 1
i have a 2000 chevy camaro. i currently have 2 treo tsx sitting on my back seat because the box is so big. i have a friend in spl that can build me a box but i cant decide on the sub? should i get 2 kicker l7 15" or 1 Fi BTl 18. www.ficaraudio.com

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 144.8 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 170
fi or if you want pure spl L7s

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 5173
L7s suck, not much way around it they are pretty unreliable and sound pretty crappy.

if you cant fit a box for two tsx in your trunk why do you think you can fit one for a big 18 like the btl? and is your charging system able to run as much power as the btl needs?

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 144.8 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 173
true

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2892
LOL @ even comparing the two.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2313
what size are the treos? if he can build the box he may be able to come up with something. even if they are 15s you can do sealed, dont underestimate sealed boxes in hatchbacks...

out of those two subs i would choose Fi. i owned a bunch of 15" L7s when they first came out and i run Fi now. im not all on Fi's ballsack just because of that but the BTL will be a much more solid sub. a fully loaded BTL should take a clean 2000-3000rms for a VERY long time...

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 458
why would you even put an 18" in a camaro?...that makes no sense to me....

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5221
"why would you even put an 18" in a camaro?...that makes no sense to me...."

Why not?I'd put an 18'' in worse vehicles.

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 416
man, a 18 in a camero about 5 inches from the back glass, i think it'd hit hard

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 634
There should be 5ft net for the 18 back there. I've had both, and I prefer the BTL for both spl and sq over the L7s. You'd need less power for the L7s, but the BTL will really shine if you can give it 3-4krms. You should also consider the expensive electrical upgrades you'd need. On that note I'd take some BL 15s over the L7s too.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1218
I've own a camaro there is no room for a 15 or 18. Hard to even build a ported box in those cars unless your going to lose your back seat?

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3607
"LOL @ even comparing the two."
whats so funny? theres people doing over 150 with 2 L7's and around 2500wrms, and if i remmber correctly chad was only doing 150 with 2 btl's and twice that power. i'd say pretty fair comparison, although me personally wouldn't choose either its up to you and how much power you want to run.

Silver Member

Post Number: 635
^ Vehicle and design make a huge difference. If I do 150 at 30hz with 2 btls in the back of a large suv, or someone else does 150 with two L7s at 50hz+ in a small hatch or wall setup, theres no comparision.

Silver Member

Post Number: 636
I've seen a 15 in a camero lowlife, but I don't own one to say anything.

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1347
150 is 150 thats the way i look at it if you have a hard job and bust your rump all day and only make 100 dollars or if you sit on your rump all day do nothing and earn 100 dollars his 100 are not worth anymore then the other guys so to me 150 is 150

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3610
" Vehicle and design make a huge difference. If I do 150 at 30hz with 2 btls in the back of a large suv, or someone else does 150 with two L7s at 50hz+ in a small hatch or wall setup, theres no comparision."
yep your right veichle does make a huge difference but in this comparison the btl's were not doing 150 at 30hz were they, that 150 was a full burp score at peak hz, plus chad had his in his back seat, so plus in this case the L7's have a way more cone area advantage so in theory should be louder.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1230
Troy all i'm saying yes you could fit a single 15 maybe even 2. You wont be able to fit two BTL\MT\DD. There is no room.

Username: Mobilelectronics

Post Number: 2
u can fit a 15 i use to have one in there. people say they compete with each other but mine was loud as hell.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/1odeylami/IMAGE_00245.jpg

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2151
this comparison is like if tyson fought an infant

Silver Member
Username: Imalik

SD2.5......ED9.1=Boom, New Jersey Lord Protect...

Post Number: 551
LOL...JK

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6372
btl properly powered (2k+rms) in a good box > L7 properly powered (1krms) in a good box

jmo

and no i havent heard a btl, but if i had to bet on which would be louder given those circumstances, id bet on the btl all day

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10442
Bacon tomato lettuce all day long.....

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2904
First post in I don't know how long where I agree with JK... pointless to compare. And while I understand and somewhat agree with what Dustin said, and generally respect his opinion, bottom line is this: Keeker subs are a joke and if you own them you will be looked upon as a joke. Fi may have been the "flavor of the month" for the last several, but at least they are a quality product owned by a righteous dude that you can be somewhat proud of.

Silver Member

Post Number: 641
Lowlife, I've never owned a camero, so you could easily be right. If you could fit 2 lesser 15s though, you should be able to fit 1 nice 18.

RayRay, if you sit in a vehicle hitting 150@70hz, there's a HUGE difference in 150@25hz. Yes technically a score of 150 is a score of 150, but to burp it in a pure spl setup or play a deep note on a daily tuned box will sound worlds apart.

If you can put 2krms on 1 18 or 2 15s the kickers should be louder, but if the BTL gets the 3-4krms in the right setup it should prevail. Plus it will need less space than the 2 15s.
My brother did a swap out of his L7 12 to a BL 12 (both on a bxi2006d) and gained A LOT. Never metered, but to the ear much louder so there goes the cone area thing..

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3611
"somewhat agree with what Dustin said, and generally respect his opinion"
ahh thats nice genrally respect my opinion, but all im saying is 2 15's vs 1 18, and the 15's being square have a sh1t load more cone area, so in theory should be louder, and it depends how much power, with only 2k the kickers should be way louder, give the btl more around 3k and it'll be closer, but to say this comparison is a joke is totally outrageous.

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
There are many factors that can effect output other than cone area. Like I said, the BL had more output (by ear) than a L7 on the same power. I gained 3db going from a 15 L7 to an 18BTL on the same power. Then double the power...

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2314
"150 is 150 thats the way i look at it if you have a hard job and bust your rump all day and only make 100 dollars or if you sit on your rump all day do nothing and earn 100 dollars his 100 are not worth anymore then the other guys so to me 150 is 150"

your stupid, that was just a bunch of rambling. 150 at 30hz is on another planet compared to 150 at 50+hz...

at least do HOMEWORK if you

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2315
errr, i cant even finish a sentence sometimes.

***at least do HOMEWORK if your gonna compare something.

and talk shit about me not finishing my sentence, i bet i had more fun than you on this friday night. part of the reason for falling off.

but yeah, just listen to people before rambling a bunch of crap about 100 dollars...

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 418
RayRay, if you sit in a vehicle hitting 150@70hz, there's a HUGE difference in 150@25hz. Yes technically a score of 150 is a score of 150, but to burp it in a pure spl setup or play a deep note on a daily tuned box will sound worlds apart

i absolutely agree^

My brother did a swap out of his L7 12 to a BL 12 (both on a bxi2006d) and gained A LOT. Never metered, but to the ear much louder so there goes the cone area thing..

but being that it's louder to the ear does not mean it'll put up better #'s

i've never heard the BTL's but i've hear a single l7 15" and it dind't sound that bad, if i'm comparing it too my type R's

back to topic:

my buddy had put a linear 420rms amp on his two JL audio w4's in a sealed box for his camero ( this was b4 the w6's came out) and it shook everything in his camero, and had awsome SQ

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1348
sure thing tremor and no i'm not gonna make fun of you for that but i think everyone is entitled to their opinion and still to me 150 is 150 you know but thats just me and thats my opinion i understand the difference in hz but yeah well if you want to keep talking sh!t about me rambling then go ahead i just stated my honest opinion i'm done with this thread later

Silver Member

Post Number: 644
jeremy, you're right, it doesn't mean it'll put up better numbers. But I'd bet it does. With the L7 you simply didn't feel any pressure, but with the window open now you can feel the air moving, where there was nothing before. You can hear it much farther away as well, and the lows are more authoritative. I have no numbers, but the audible difference was enormous- and for his purposes (daily listening-no comps ever) it was a great improvement.

Silver Member
Username: Loudblazer

El reno, Ok

Post Number: 241
"You can hear it much farther away as well"

troy, is that about the L7, BL or BTL?

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2317
sorry ray ray, i was drunk...

but that still isnt a very good comparison.

yes 150 is 150 when you are competing and that is your highest number but if you can do a 150 at 25hz your a bad mofo...

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2318
i wonder what 150s at 25hz is like...

150s at 50+hz bores me these days...

Silver Member

Post Number: 645
loudblazer the BL>L7 in all aspects in this swap out. against the BTL there just wasn't much contest.
I'm doing over 150 at 30hz (150.8 I think), haven't tested lower yet. Probably 150 at ~28hz with the stock charging... soo ready for the upgrade

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3339
I like eating Pie.

This thread needed a bernyMAC Moment :-)

Silver Member
Username: Loudblazer

El reno, Ok

Post Number: 242
ok, thanks. im thinkin about gettin a stock 18 BL with a hifonics 1200.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10457
I haven't pooped in two days.

This thread needed a "Paul" moment.

Upload

Gold Member

BME

Post Number: 3341
LOL

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2172
lmfao if we had signatures those two quotes would totally be in mine. hahah damn

Gold Member

BME

Post Number: 3342
We do have signatures :-). Just that no one uses the feature.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3672
you can rebuild a BTL .. :-)

blown L7 = door stop

Silver Member

Post Number: 647
dddamn paul, almost time for the doctor lol..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us