Gain/sub level question

Bronze Member
Username: Andy_h

PhillyUS

Post Number: 61
i have a Fi SSD and an alpine mrdm1005 amp giving it about 750-800 RMS...

The gain was set correctly, however the "Subwoofer Level" on my alpine head unit was only at 3 (it goes up to 15 i believe), my question is, if i turn the Subwoofer Level up do i have to readjust the gain? i dont want to risk blowing anything

keep in mind that this is not the "bass" on the headunit

Bronze Member
Username: Streetridersr22

Mason city, Iowa U.S.

Post Number: 62
i have a 10" mtx 9500 it a 750-1000rms max and i have a kicker 800.2 bridged and i have the gain turned almost all the way up on the amp and on the sub level on my alpine headunit on 10 and im running just fine

Bronze Member
Username: Andy_h

PhillyUS

Post Number: 62
bumb for someone legit who knows there stuff lol

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 153
yes you want to reset ur gains to 0
then turn ur deck and sub ctrol all the way up then go turn up ur gain again till u like it.

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 154
lol sry alil stoned, u need to turn ur deck up to the loudest u would listen to it then turn the sub control at the highest u'd listen to, then turn the gains up on the amp until u hear alil disortion....once u hear distortion turn the gain down slowly till there's no distortion

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 671
i'd actually leave the gain matched up to your deck's pre-out level (4V i'm guessing), so you want to have it just under 4V on the amp. Then you can play with the sub level until you like it.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11736
no, once the gain is set, it's set.
the gain on the amp sets the input stage sensitivity on the amplifier to match the output voltage of teh head unit RCA lines.
you can use teh alpine head unit's bass adjustment all you like. All this does is attenuate the signal for the pre-outs.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL My wangers b...

Post Number: 2002
Glass, i have to differ from that. Changing ANY settings on your HU (like subwoofer level or eq. fade\balance ect) all change your RCA pre-out voltage, changing these will call for a change in your gain.

Think of it this way... You have a amp putting its full output power on a HU thats sub level is at 4 of 8, keeping it at the same volume so its putting out its rated output, change your sub level to 8..... your clipping the fu<k outta it now..

Pretty much id say turn the sub level on the HU up and the gain down. Depending on your output voltage it may not even be a big enough differnce to put your amp into clipping.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11744
your volume knob changes the preout voltage, too.
everything does.
point is, the amp's gains should be set for the maximum volume lvel you plan to use.
after that, as I said, the bass level control is used as it's inteded.
as an attenuator.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

IL My wangers b...

Post Number: 2003
Sorry i should of said that to.... the only thing you would have to change your gain for if you change you sub level is if you want the volume to still go up as high as it did before.... otherwise like i said clipping...

Really the way i figure to set it up is to set your HU first to match how you want your sounds for mids,highs, and lows. EQ, and sub level and turn your HU to the Max volume you want to use, not the max volume of the HU, about 3\4 the way to max. This is to give your sounds different levels and say if your using the HU to power your mids\highs... you want a higher volume level overall.. it all really depends on your taste if you think about it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us