Interesting.... anybody know?

Bronze Member
Username: Moey_g

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 70
I have a 15" Kicker CVR in a ported box tuned to 32Hz running off a kicker 400.1 at 2 ohms. Everything is fine when playing it loud, but last nite i opened the boot while it was playing loud and the amp started to cut out. When i closed the boot, it started playing properly again.
Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on?

Silver Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 557
The boot?

Silver Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 695
Sounds like you have a short or something is screwed up in your wiring that involves your boot light is my best guess.

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 72
The boot light turns on manually. So it cant be a wiring problem. since it dusnt turn on when i open the boot. Yes the BOOT lol. I know its weird...

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 73
BTW, ive had the same system for at least 6 months and no problems. Its just when i opened the boot last nite it was cutting out. I closed the boot again and everything was back to normal. It never happened when i had the sealed box, maybe something to do with the port?

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 698
That's really strange man. It could be that your sub in the ported box trips out when it loses cabin pressure but I have never heard of that making an amp cut out. If the sub is facing rear why not take a look at the cone just as you open the boot and see if it does anything weird before the amp cuts out.

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 74
I was thinking that it dusnt like open spaces... But ive never heard of that either. It doesnt do anything weird before it cuts out, just stops and then starts again, then repeats until i close the boot. It works fine when the volume is down though, but it dusnt help if i wana make a video

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 699
You said that your boot light can be switched manually, but there should also be some kind of switch (you know the kind that pops out when the boot is open and turns on the light, just like on your front doors). Hold that switch down and put some duct tape on it to keep it from popping up and see if that solves the amp problem.

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 75
Nope no switch... Its an old car lol

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 700
Well I don't know what to tell you without actually being there. Maybe some wires shifted and are getting crushed or something like that. You will just have to go columbo on the b!tch and figure it out

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 76
Yea im totally lost with this one. I can usually fix problems with car audio, but this problem is one-of-a-kind. lol
Il jst have to play around with it and see what i can do.
Btw thanx alot for trying to help. Much appreciated.

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 701
Anytime

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 613
Hmmm.

Here's my theory.

When you open the boot, it effects the enclosures loading, so the impedence changes, which sends your amp into protect.

This wouldnt happen sealed.

What do i win?

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 77
Seems like a good theory...What can i do about it, and how come it doesnt happen to anyone else?
Any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2248
Take the bulb out. Any change?

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 614
I happens more than ppl think, especially when their box moves all around. All they know is the amp/sub went, all of a sudden, but not why.

Why you? I dunno we're well above my head. This is just something i observed watching draw results when moving my enclosure closer to further from the gate of my old rodeo.

Do about it? Assuming im correct, a new/different enclosure.

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 705
Easy to test renegades theory by just plugging the port(s) thoroughly.

But I seriously doubt that the impedance could sway enough due to loading to make a Kicker amp shut off. Unless your particular amp is developing problems or possibly overheating where it is mounted.

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 78
Hmmm, looks like ive got some playing around to do. Ok il try to plug the port and see what happens when i open the boot. If that works, well then thats the problem and i guess il jst have to live with it. (until i can be bothered to build another box).
And to Brads thoughts about the amp going bad, i continued to play the music loud after it was shutting off with the boot closed and no problems. So i dont think that its going bad. (hopefully)

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 706
Well what I meant is that if the amp is getting really hot where it is mounted, or is developing some issues, then a relatively small impedance swing (like renegade is describing) could well make the amp go into protect because it is borderline as it is...

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 79
Ahh i see what your saying. I hope the amps not going bad, i cant afford another one right now. (Btw the 400.1 kickers are worth $400 here in australia )

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2255
Maybe the 15 watt bulb is the culprit. It puts a strain on the electrical system, causing amp to protect due to low voltage.

^^^j/k ^^^^^

Try putting a volt meter on the power wire when it doing it. Whats the voltage read? Is it steady?
If so its a fluke box/sub/amp/boot combo cone amuck.

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 707
I have been to Oz many times and if I remember right it is summer there now, and it is probably getting up in the high 90's.

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 80
Its 35 now. Celcius that is so thats 95 farenheit. Yes yes im melting right now in front of the computer .
It has been worse tho. The highest i can remember was 45 celcuis (113 farenheit)

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 710
Which is why you need to check your amp temp by touching it after it shuts down, and possibly move it to an area that gets more airflow. That amp doesn't have a fan, I used to own one and it is a rugged little amp but it doesn't like to overheat.

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 624
So, what do i win? :-)

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1611
Sounds like you have a short or something is screwed up in your wiring that involves your boot light is my best guess

I'm going with Brad on this one.

All things being equal, the simplest solution tends to be the best one.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1612
Except I think it has nothing to do with the light. I think you're simply loosening a connection, or possibly grounding something out every time you open the trunk.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 627
Cept...

It never happened sealed.......

Bronze Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 81
Ok i tried it 2day with a less bassy song and it was fine. Only happens with heavy bass songs i.e. late night tip etc.

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 629
With the boot open? Or with it closed as well?

Silver Member

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 655
I asked someone smarter than me.

"its either low voltage, caused by impedance shift when the environment changes (opens the boot) or the suspension has an issue causing the coil to rub when loaded that way (loose spider somewhere)..... or maybe he only has the car off with the hatch open, causing low voltage"

Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us