HK AVR 320 Going into Protect/off mode Help/advice please.

Ken Tan
Hi, My 8 month old AVR 320 keep going into Protected(off) mode randomly. It happens very randomly. Sometime I can listen to music for 4 hrs and it works fine. other times after 5 mins AVR will turn it self off. Then works 30 mins and turn off again?

I have tried the following to fix it.

1. I replace all the speaker cables.
(replace with monster cable and make sure all the connectors are clean and tight)

2. switch to different speakers.
(I have try it with Entergy 5.2 and cheap JBLs both 8 ohms)

3. Put a Fan on it.
(it's not over heat. sometimes AVR goes into protect mode with in mins from cold start.)

4. Change the Surge protector.

5. Listening in different
Mode( 2 speaker stero, 5 speaker)

But nothing seens to help. I don't really want to mail it to a Service center( it's going to cost $100 to ship it 2 way from hawaii). ;-(
Does anyone know anything I can try or seen this problem on HK Avrs before?

thanks for any help
--Ken

Setup

HK AVR 320
Energy Take 5.2 + 8.2 Sub
Panisonic DVD

GT
Are you using banana plugs or bare wire? You're positive you don't accidently hit the sleep button which is the same as the channel up/down buttons when using a different source? Also check to see if you're on the same circuit as a heater/air conditioner, washer/dryer, etc. This could cause problems.

I've got a 320 and it's shut down on me a couple times in maybe 9 months but I'm in a house with very bad electrical wiring. Our oven goes haywire randomly so I know its not my receiver.

My Yamaha also shut down the other day so I'm pretty sure its the house.

The problem is that with intermittent stuff like that, the mfr won't be able to find out what's wrong. I work with computers and it's almost impossible to track down a problem that happens so infrequently.

Ken
It's all Bare wires connection. I triple checked all the conections to make sure nothing is sticking out. It would be cool if the AVR misbehave 1 or 2 times a week. ;-) But, The da*n avr "click" off a few times a day. sometime in the middle of watching a movies. and "click" the AVR went off. ;-(

So power problems could cause this to happen? I work with computers too, will put this on my battery backup UPS and see if it goes away. ;-)

Thanks
--Ken

Yes if you have to many things on one curcuit,like say an air conditioner running on the same outlet as your reciever it could cause it to go into protect mode.

Anonymous
Just want to say I have the same receiver and speakers as you, and randomly it will just shut down! It has plenty of ventilation, monster wire but it makes no difference. I've had it too long so i can't take it back, so I replaced it with my older Onkyo 494. I won't buy HK again. My feelings they have quality issues. That's too bad because I have older stuff from the early 70's which I love.

GT
Ken,

Call HK Customer support and explain your problem. I had a 320 with a logic 7 defect and they sent me a brand new 325! You might get lucky. 516-255-HKHK

rocks911
You've got a real problem there. I just sent back the 525 for doing the same thing. I tried all the same things you did to rectify the problem, to no avail. Contacted tech support, no help.
I've seen people write about the same issue on other boards so I've got to wonder what gives.
Luckily I was within my 30 day guarantee so I just sent it back.
Unfortunately I'm without a receiver, and so burned out from failing units I don't know what to do or who to go with.
Good luck, I hope you figure it out.

Anonymous
I have the same avr and my shuts down to, some times for no reason. The other day it shut down at the same time lighting hit. But it's been a long time and I have it on every day. Changed
all the same stuff as above.I thank there just
very sensitive. 7 months old and has happend
maybee 6 times.

Anonymous
That means that the HK's power supply is unstable.

Is this common for all the x25 units?

GT
My 325 has never shut off. And I've unintentionally left it on for two days. Come home to find it still on.

If you've got a defective x20, call up HK and see what they'll do. If this many shut off, they must know about it.

mike
You guys aren't the only ones with problems. I started a thread on my new t-762 that is shutting off(mine only at somehwat high volumes). Still, it is unacceptable to me.

mel
Unregistered guest
i am also running a HK325 and am using it to power 4 ohm speakers,it han't gone into protect mode once.maybe this problem is in the previous lines,not real sure

Anonymous

I also have a AVR325. It shuts off all the time! When first turned on (cold) it works for about a hour then it shuts off. When turned back on (warm) it only lasts 10 min. Repair place has had it for 2.5 months. Tired of it!! Going to get it tomorrow morn. and mail it back to KH with a letter about poor quality and service centers!

Anonymous

After months of deliberation, I finally got the AVR 330 (the new one) over an Onkyo 601. I got it Friday and spent all day hooking it up. As soon as I turned up the thing past -24db, it went into protect mode and shut off. It kept doing it repeatedly over and over especially in the digital modes and not so much the analog. I read in the manual that it could be a possible short, so I checked all the connections and came up with nothing. I called HK tech support and they made sure it had proper ventilation and that I had the right ohms on my speakers. Everything checked out. So they said to return it. I got it from B&H, but HK said that since they are not authorized dealers, that if anything went wrong with it later, that they are not obligated to fix anything. I'm sending it back tomorrow. This seems to be a problem with the recent line. I knew I should have went with the Onkyo, I just knew it. Merry x-mas to me!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us