My problems are over...thank god

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Post Number: 114
So I got a 06 pontiac G6 gt not to long ago, and i was wanting to put a system in it and i hesitated because if i change out the HU, i love my driver info center thing and risk messing up my cars computer making it to where it never shows the right error codes when i plug up a scanner. Well, from a little google searching, found this:
Scosche GM1593
http://scosche.com/products/productID/483

Still have all my fancy little driver info like my tripometers, fuel econ, mpg, oil life, etc. AND my onboard computer will act properly when I hook it up to a scanner.

Evens comes with the wire harness. Says its about 200 bux, but i have seen it on ebay for under 90. Worth it to me. Hope its good quality though.

Now, I have to decide what I am gonna put in my car.

First, what I want out of it:
-Sound Quality is my main point
-approx 1000rms subbage(mono d amp, 2 12" port/sealed)
-components in my doors. approx 100rms each???
-Head Unit, looking at the Alpine iDA-X001 (I worship my 5gen, 60g ipod. 4000 songs, all nicely organized, everything at least 128kbps. this HU allows total control of an iPod. run the ipod wire to the glove box, hook ipod and leave in glove box. it will charge it, and i wont have to use ipod to change songs or playlists or anything).

So this is my system that I just came up with. help me decide what i should change, etc.

*Subs - 2 12 inch Alpine Type R (dual 2 ohm)
*Sub Amp - not sure on this...not sure what these subs can handle, says 500rms each, but i heard it can handle more.
*box - not sure on ported or sealed, need help deciding that. will be custom made, by a local sub box maker, for my car. Just need to figure our ported or sealed, Cubic ft size, and tuned to what hz.
*Head Unit - Alpine iDA-X001
*Front door Components - Type R 6-1/2" (my doors are 6-3/4, so these should fit good...right?) (and my doors have a tweeter spot close to where the mirror is, so i put component tweet there...or would a kick panel be better to do?)
*Amp for Components - Not sure on this either. Need help on that. RMS is 110w rated on their website. not sure if thats (over/under)rated. Looking for 2 channel a/b amp that would handle well.
*1/0 guage kit (duh). distribution block in the trunk, split to 4 guage to each amp. (btw, how would i ground this? 0 guage from each amp, 4 guage from each amp, run them together to body, or 2 separate places to the body???)

Wow...so there it is. my plans. Help me figure out what I wanna do. SQ is my top priority. I have my Type s 10" in my car right now, hooked to a line output convertor and i need my new stuff.

budget...gah, ok. I will put an approx range on each thing, and a total...or try:
^^HU, about 250 max...pretty sure im getting the iDA X001 though, but open to other suggestions.
^^subs, 250 each...max. (i can get 2 type r's for a little more than 200 for both. but im willing to pay 250 each for subs if need be)
^^amp for subs...gah, havent looked at this one. 300 max for that amp.
^^component speakers, 150 for a set.
^^amp for components, 150

question about a box.
//Ported or Sealed
//How many cubic feet
//How and to what should it be tuned

So I know im asking a lot, but I figured I would just ask it all in one thread so I wont have 20 threads cluttering this up and pissing people off. But i seriously need help deciding a good SQ system for my car. If I forgot to mention something, ask and I will tell. Oh yeah, I planned on unhooking my rear speakers, or hooking them to the HU. wasnt going to replace them...or should I? Well, I just asked a ton of questions if anyone is looking for something to do today =]

Dont hate me...just help me!

Thanks so much

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1471
For sub and amp, SSA has a great deal on a SQ 12" ICON and a Sundown SAE-1000D amp to power it. The deal is $499 total. 1000w SQ sub and perfect amp to match it.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=10&ccSID8643 dd60547e611052421a6659ed64d2=d1440e223f7458e028253c2d983dbaf3

The ICON cost $250 by itself and the SAE-1000D goes for about $350 so thats a great deal. I seriously considered this for my own set up but decided not to upgrade yet.

This would leave like $300 bucks extra you could throw at speakers.

I would then go with CDT HD 6 1/2" and a Kicker 350.4 to run them off of.

You got upgraded electricals? HO Alt? Battery?

Anyways, that just my $.02

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1472
For the amps, with a thousand watt amp you could get away with a 4g ground, but may as well as go with a 0g, and the speaker amp you could use 4g. Ground to different spots, on non painted metal that is solid with the chassis.

On the box, I don't really know. Box recommmneded is 2.25 cubes with a port of 27-33hz.

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 586
i agree w/ cheese, that sounds like a solid sq setup right there ^^^

Gold Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 1021
^ thats a good suggestion.. but i think he wants 2 12's

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1473
He was going with 2 10's at a 1000w, why not one big 12? Sure the ten will have more cone area, but is that necessary for SQ?

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Post Number: 116
no no, i want 2 12s

not replacing my rear speakers either

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1291
2 12" type r's will not give you SQ at all
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums