Mechanics....M.S. check it out

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16320
wassup matt. here is the picture of my engine and where the sound is coming from.

its like a metal grinding noise. after a couple of minutes it goes away. before i would have to start it in the morning for the sound to come back but now if the engine isn't running for around 5-6 hours, the sound comes back.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 843
could be the bearings in your pulley. i would have to hear it though and that usually makes more of a ticking noise

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16321
yeah the ticking noise is there when the metal grinding noise disappears.

i hope its only the bearing. then i can do it myself.

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 844
yeah if it's the bearings just buy a new pulley. something you could do to find where its coming from is get something long and metal and set it on different parts of the car. put your ear up to it and you should be able to find out where the noise is coming from

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7346
im pretty sure is the pulley

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16322
so just replace the whole pulley or can i just buy the bearings?

i don't think its the steering wheel pump or anything like that.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7425
my bro Scott S said he doesnt think the bearing is replaceable alone he thinks its part of the power steering pump

Gold Member

Post Number: 7426
my bro has worked with or around cars most of his life

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16324
damn that sux. ima have to go to a mechanic and find out.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7347
u can get a pulley and change it... see the bolt it has that and another one for a wrench in the back and u take it out maybe is alil loose but im pretty sure is the pulley

Gold Member

Post Number: 7428
this is my bro scott s's direct quote.....there is no bearing in that pulley, p/s pumps have the bearing in the pump its self, only a keyway on the shaft for the pulley to fix to it

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16327
so that is the power steering pump then. i just want to know some info before i take it to a mechanic. i need to sound like i know what i am talking about.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7429
yup

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6369
Chad, it's more than likely the pulley but it doesn't even have many miles on it so for it to go bad is crappy. Take it to a TRUSTED mechanic.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4905
Chad is that pulley on your power steering pump? I can't tell what it is from the pic.

If that is the power steering pump or water pump then sean is right.... there is no bearing in the pulley, its in the pump.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16328
yeah i found one mechanic that is trust worthy. they don't screw you on prices and are very honest. the stereo shop me and berny go to all the time recomended them. i think i will go check it out over the holiday weekend.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7430
definately let us know what it was...my bro knows his stuff but hes only human

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4906
Thats good that you found a good place. They are hard to come by.

We have ONE good shop around here. They've been here forever and specialize in automatic transmissions but do full auto service. My truck goes there for inspections, and the one time it needed internal transmission work. I like to fix almost everything myself, but automatic transmissions are one thing I don't wanna mess with :-)

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5670
just pull off the pulley and check it out if you feel up to it. doesnt look like their is bearings in the pulley but you never know with those jap cars ;)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4926
Think about it, with a water pump or power steering pump the pulley has to turn the shaft constantly. There can't be a bearing in the pulley or it wouldn't work :-)

Gold Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 1100
sounds like the bearing,hey i gotta question if any of yall know it.how does a power steering pump act when its going bad

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4940
It makes a noise, like chad's is. It will also make noise if the fluid is low, so check that first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1104
its got fluid,the high pressure hose has gotta be replaced tho its leaking,nd it making a loud ratlling noise

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5673
wow MS glad you caught that i guess i shouldnt post late :-) i dont know why i was even thinking that

anyway unless you want to spend the money on it just let it die out.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4945
Haha mat we all do that sometimes. Its just I usually realize mistakes in enough time to edit my post :-)

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3797
That is a power steering pump, will need to be changed as a whole.. Polo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00-honda-civic-OEM-power-steering-pump-EX_W0QQ cmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33588QQihZ022QQitemZ350008674507QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Gold Member

Post Number: 1106
i know what a power steering pump looks like i do most the work to the truck,i was just wondering how one would react when it was going out

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3799
If it is loud, and has all of its fluid and/or is leaking, then you need to change it,lOl... Simple.. Polo..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1107
thats what i plan on

Gold Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1021
"u can get a pulley and change it..."

It is possible but most of those pulleys would still have to be pressed off with a huge press and it will most likely snap and make it impossible to remove rendering the power steering pump useless. I have seen people try and end up having to replace the whole thing on top of wasted money on the pully and time spent/watsed. I would go to the autoparts store and see if the new power steering pump comes with the pulley attatched and go from there. If it were me, I would just replace it since it is very easy and from your pics, it is right at the top and easy to get to. Hope this helps.

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16335
yeah the mechanic told me it has to be changed as a whole. i am looking at around 300 bux. which i think it is a decent price.

and yes the mechanic did say i am lucky it is at the top of the engine. it makes the job a lot easier so the labor won't be too much.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3800
It is like replacing the pulley on an alternator, you just don't do it, lOl. Check e-bay for deals, great place. Tomorrow I have to remove my A/C compressor which is under my engine and can only be removed through the passenger side fender well, not other way so off with the skirt and tire gonna suck! Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1022
What is the Year, Make, and model again? I am sorry, I forgot,,,,,

Platinum Member

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16339
2005 honda accord v6 manual transmission. 3.0L v6 v-tech.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3196
$50-$60
http://catalog.autopartsgiant.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc?_cmd=epccat_CategoryW HD&cookieID=29D0U5AOS29D0U6L6E&catid=9%40%40Steering%2FSuspension&subcatid=141%4 0%40Pwr+Strg+Pump%2C+Hose+and+Kits&yearid=2005%40%402005&makeid=32%40%40HONDA%40 %40B&modelid=7125%40%40ACCORD&mode=PA&engineid=33152@@V6%2D2977cc+3%2E0L+F%2FI+Vin+J30A4@@33152
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us