Big Problem kinda

Silver Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

SSD Wangin, Shawano, Wis... USA

Post Number: 993
My fuse blew up by my battery. When i try to put a new one in it acts like its welding...Whats the problem here???

Thanks
jamie

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10450
Your fuse didn't blow up your battery. A fuse is intended to prevent damage not create it. Obviously you have wiring issues that replacing a fuse will NOT correct.

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 803
Paul, he said blew up by his battery. Meaning the fuse in his power wire.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10454
Ooooooohhhhhhhhh.

After a couple it gets easy to glaze over some of the key words lol.

My apologies Jamie.

Silver Member

Post Number: 998
thas alright anyone know whats up wiht that

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 374
is it sparking when you put the fues in there if soo you shouold be fine its becuz your drawing current from either a cap being hooked up or you drawing current from the battery .

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4017
wat size fuse is it and how many amps you running to the amp/ wat size wire is it and what size amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 999
80 amp fuse.80 amps to the amp. 4 guage. kicker zx750.1
ben- yea i put the fuse in and it made this massive spark so i jumped and i looked at the fuse and it looked like it welded itself...lol

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 998
What type of fuse is it? Maybe get a different fuse holder?

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 999
Wait a minute. Explain this in full detail. It's arcing at the fuse?

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1000
"i looked at the fuse and it looked like it welded itself...lol"

Welded itself to what?

Silver Member

Post Number: 1000
its a stinger fuse...ill take a picture hold on

Gold Member

Post Number: 1001
heres a crappy pic but itll get the point across
http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff269/volfenhagking1600/?action=view&current= 1007071001.jpg

BTW...IM GOLD!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
bump

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2928
Is the amp on when this happens? You may want to disconnect the power at the battery and then put the fuse in. thn connect the battery. A little arcing is normal. That fuse is a bit on the small size too. Look at getting something like an anl fuse. If it still pops after connecting the battery, its time to get the DMM out and find the short. Most times if the fuse pops like that, its because of a dead short.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1004
i disconnected the battery and put the fuse in it blew a little later. So your saying theres a short somewhere? Where is the most common place?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2929
where is this fuse locater? on the amp? near the amp? near the battery? Do you have a dmm, or any meter?disconnect the power wire at the amp, and at the battery. put the meter on it and test if there is continuity between power and ground.there should be none. That fuse may not be up to the job either. bypass it after you verify there is no short and see if amp stays on. If it does, put a better(higher quality ) fuse on the power wire near the battery.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1006
the fuse is near the battery. yea i have a dmm

Silver Member

Post Number: 804
Don't bypass the fuse. That's asking to burn your car to the ground. It sort of sounds like you have a worn spot in the insulation, and that's touching the chassis every now and then. I'd use the DMM to check for shorts, and if you get no continuity, go over your whole power wire looking for holes in the insulation.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3312
If the fuse keeps blowing, either your power wire is shoted to ground somewhere or your amp is damaged and shorted internally. Disconnect the power wire from the amp and try another fuse.

If it still blows, you need to trace your entire power wire and find the short. The most common place is at the firewall, since a lot of dumbass people run wire though a hole with sharp edges and no padding around the wire.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1007
alright thanks guys for the help

jamie

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2931
Didnt read the whole thing cam?

"bypass it after you verify there is no short and see if amp stays on. If it does, put a better(higher quality ) fuse on the power wire near the battery. "

That will show if its the amp or wire/fuse. He still has amp fuses protecting the amps. and if the power wire is fine, then its the small fuse. and replace it with a new one.
I dont imply he doesnt put a fuse back inline, but to bypass for testing puposes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 810
I did read the whole thing. I still wouldn't though. If it is just bumping against the chassis now and then, it might work for a little then make the connection with the chassis and start welding. Not fun. Bypassing it just isn't a good idea imo. It's up to him, though. I just didn't want to see him come back telling us how his car caught on fire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us