Dry HU...Any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 99
I would like to upgrade my HU. Is there any benefit going with a dry unit, and if so, what are some good units. My budget is $400.

Silver Member
Username: Thed42

Post Number: 112
What the hell are you talking about DRY?
Get an alpine, nothing beats it for the price.

Bronze Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 100
Well, what I'm refering to is a head unit that doesn't have a built in amplifier, pre-outs only no power (dry). Are you new to this???

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2586
premier deh780 mp

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1534
the 9855 was the last Alpine that has gotten above average reviews ... after that alpine HUs were on the decrease ...

glove i saw one the P-9 pioneer on one of these forums for 450 ... i think it might of been caraudio.com not sure ..

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1674
idk why you would say nothing beats alpine decks for the price
alpine has steadily been losing ground in the market for head units

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2752
Denon,

http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-CAR-CD-PLAYER-DCT-A100-AMPLESS-ALPHA-PROCESSING_W0QQit emZ250156553144QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3293QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Some Macintosh, and Alpine F-1
Also Nakamichi

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 101
That Denon unit looks like a din size Home Stereo!!

I like it. Don't have the green for it though. I'll keep looking.

Thanks!

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 102
premier deh780 mp

why can't I find anything about this unit in English? When I google it, it only comes back in spanish???

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 948
http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/23492.html

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 949
That link didn't work, maybe this one..

http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=9296

Gold Member

Post Number: 2598
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Pioneer+DEH-P780MP&ie=UTF-8& oe=UTF-8

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 103
Features of Pioneer DEHP780 / DEHP780MP:

* Built-in MOSFET50 amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
* Slide-down, motorized face with customizable, full-color Organic EL display
* CD, CD-R, and CD-RW compatible, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files (not compatible with songs downloaded from Apple iTunes Music Store) Features of Pioneer DEHP780 / DEHP780MP:

* Built-in MOSFET50 amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
* Slide-down, motorized face with customizable, full-color Organic EL display
* CD, CD-R, and CD-RW compatible, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files (not compatible with songs downloaded from Apple iTunes Music Store)

First line reveals this is a powered unit???

Not what I'm looking for.

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 736
why dont you want an internal amplifier on the HU?

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1553
i would guess hes running active ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2601
oh i guess i didnt know what dry meant... my bad!

Bronze Member
Username: Evoixmr

Post Number: 78
I would recomend the pioneer premier deh-880prs, it has a built-in MOSFET50 amp but this can be turned completely off. You can pick this H/U up for around $300. It also has a 3-way network mode (requires 3 dedicated amps, one for each subs fronts and rears) where the only audio signal leaving the H/U is sent through the RCA's only.

I dont know what your goal is with a dry H/U, but this one has all the sh!t you need to finely tune any system.

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 413
i was also looking for a "dry" headunit before i bought my pioneer deh590 but was unable to come accross any. my reason was to try to save some money because i have no need for the internal amp since i am running an external amp. but i nave never seen a hu without an amp

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 104
You know, I don't really know why specifically. I'll have to ask if it makes a difference anymore. See, the shows that we competed in a while ago included the deck power when they put you into your class. I'm using some old school comp ams, that are rated at stereo 4 ohms, but are stable to 1/2 ohm stereo or 1 ohm bridged. They are rated really low, so I can enter the 100-200w class. If I used a newer amp, I would be in the 800-1000w class...and if you include the deck power, that pushes you to the next class. I don't know if you have ever heard of that before, but that is why I wanted a dry deck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2607
so....they think ur amp is doing 200 watts when its really doing 900 watts?

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 414
your deck adds no power besides the line voltage f you are using the RCA's. i dont know why they would include the wattage from the deck, the amp does not run if your not using it.

Silver Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 105
They were going by what is written on the amp. Something they could visually see. My amps say 50 and 100 on them as part of their logo. Some amps have max ratings printed on them which would change things entirely. I don't know where these judges got there rules, but it's a pain. As far as the deck adding power, they are only going off of printed ratings, so, when the deck says 25 x 4 they add that on. Even if you are not using deck power for any play.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Alpine losing martket share ion HU? Could you back that up because I don't believe it. Opinions don't count.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
you got pwned Thug Butt Monkey AKA assGerbil

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6684
the cda-9855 is one of th ebest headunit alpine ever made..... period...

if you want high end headunit go with the 9855...

it was a outboard 3 way switch that front will use as the highs back as the mid and sub as the low for true to eart sound... also outboard dc/dc converter, 4 volts preout.... bmx bbeand bass engine and with a parametric eq thats i tihnk is one of the best functions of the headunit well u cant go wrong with that headunit..

i had it and i sold it and i got a 980bt and i made a bad choice i wish i had that 9855 back well i think im a get it back later when i get some cash...

hahahhaha

mark d u got pwned hardcore man

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
and that relates to market share how?

Silver Member
Username: Dannyboyy

Peterborough, NH USA

Post Number: 417
clarion drz9255 pick 1 up on ebay for 450-600 used. i got a refurb on ebay for 600 great head unit i like it better than my last head unit: McIntosh Mx5000. but the mx5000 sounded amazing! had to sell it so i could buy a new car :-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us