PVR and FTA

Username: Jlsat

Post Number: 2
Hey,
I would like to start using a PVR FTA receiver. Does anyone have some advise on what is the best? I've heard of the new Pansat 6000 or the Dreambox. There are also PCMIA cards too. What is the best overall?

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 2091
Dreambox was considered the top of the line at one time,but not sure if thats still true...Pansat 6000 ($429) owners are happy and I don't hear complaints...FTA with PVR is not extremely popular, as most FTA owners do not want the PVR..

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 2094
After doing some more reading...there are many issues with the Pansat 6000 that need to be resolved...and the dreambox support is very limited, as is any info to their issues...I wouldn't buy either!

Some Pansat Issues:

You need to download some CODECS in order to play the .pvr files in Windows Media Player.

I've been able to burn to a DVD but the process took close to 5 hrs on my laptop (for a 2+ hour movie). The quality is excellent though.

I haven't had any sound issues but other people have had some issues with this, along with freezing pictures.

Username: Jlsat

Post Number: 3
Thanks LK. I've been reading your advice for a couple of years now. Its really helped. I mainly want my entire video library to be digital. I have my TV's tied into my computer and all my DVD's ripped to a hard disk. I was hoping to never buy DVDs again and just PVR my videos and put them in the same hard-drive. How long does it take to download the MPEG-2 file from the HDD on the Receiver PVR to a hard disk?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us