$400USD for a Sub

Username: Mrloren

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 3
Hello,

I have a big room (20x18 with thick carpet and open to kitchen) and need a better sub. Right now I have a Sony 12" sub that is ok, yep just ok. so for $400 or less what should I get. I like a 12" sub. I have been looking at Athena and Velodyne on ebay. I can get these for less than $400 and not have to sleep in the yard (wife thing) I do about 50/50 music & movies.

My current system is: Sony STRDE875 receiver. Polk RTi4 main's Polk CS2 center and Polk RC60i rear surround. I am not to big on Polk subs

just trying
Unregistered guest
Well, to be honest $400 will not get you a great 12'', a decent one, but nothing special or worth the $400. If I were in your shoes I would focus more on a good 10'' sub, like the SVS PB-10 or the HSU STF-2. There is also the Dayton Titanic 10'' DIY kit from partsexpress.com. I'm not sure, but Earthquake may also have a good 10'' in the $400 range. If you are set on a 12'' though, the best one in that range is the Athena. Good luck, and make sure you research alot before buying.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3055
> I am not to big on Polk subs

smart man, their subs suck.

Don't get too hung up on driver size, especially at this price range.

I'd say that a 10" Hsu STF-2 ($400) would easily outperform a 12" Velodyne and ESPECIALLY a 12" Athena sub in the same price range any day. The $429 SVS PB-10 would also crush those two.

Username: Mrloren

ChulaJuna, CA

Post Number: 4
Would the STF-2 be big enough for the room size the base has to fill?

just trying
Unregistered guest
It should be just plenty. You can always add another down the line if it's not. Some people don't like the idea of 2 subs, but I believe 2 subs, one placed next to each main speaker, produces a very seemless soundstage. Check out the SVS too, you may opt for that over the HSU.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3058
Yes, but a lot of that will depend on your placement choices.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 127
"Just trying" is on the money with his two subs thoughts. This has been hashed over extensively actually.

AS far as whether or not the sub can fill your room. That depends on what SPL you are trying to achieve ( sound presseure level). Its not a question that can be answered without knowing how loud you wnna go.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us